Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July Garden

This garden is out of control!

View from one end of the garden.
Note to self: Buy taller tomato stakes for next year.

View from the other end.
All that green stuff? Veggie plants!

I'm learning a lot this year. I had no idea what a broccoli plant would look like.

My beautiful basil. I have four gorgeous rows of this stuff!

Note to self #2: I don't need two zucchini plants. The worst part is that my neighbors on both sides are also growing zucchini so I can't pawn it off very easily this year. Any recipe ideas?

Purple beans. They will turn green when cooked. Yummy!


All the tomato plants (9) are loaded with green tomatoes. I noticed one lone red one the other day...pretty soon we'll have more tomatoes than I know what to do with!


Want any radishes? Seriously. Please take them. I had never tasted a radish before growing them and turns out they're pretty nasty :). I have four long rows of these guys popping out of the ground.


Some of the cucumber plants. No cukes yet, though!

This is what a baby asparagus plant looks like. I had no idea what to expect. There are five growing happily...and one whose fragile leaves were all plucked off by a little toddler I know.

Rhubarb. I learned that if it grows a weird flower, you're supposed to cut that off ASAP.

Claire loves to visit the all-you-can-eat raspberry buffet every night after dinner.

Believe it or not, the yellow variety are sweeter than the red ones! I think I'll make some raspberry ice cream with our next harvest.

How is your garden doing?

3 comments:

  1. So as it turns out, having a garden 2 blocks away is a lot further than I thought it would be. I hardly ever see our garden. Maybe next year my landlord will let me start a garden here...that would be great :)
    Anyway, your garden looks great! Enjoy all the produce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the garden pictures - I just planted out mine and I am looking forward to seeing it grow :) Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a courtyard garden? That is what I am trying to deal with since we moved. Nancy at http://cozythymecottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete