Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Baby Liam

OK, now I haven't taken ANY pictures yet. We seriously only have a couple shots that Nick took in the hospital. I promise I'll post some really cute ones soon!

Liam Hurley Sabey arrived on Friday, June 18 at 3:42 a.m., weighing 8 pounds 2 ounces. He is perfect in every way!

Just a warning...this is a birth story, so get out now if you don't want the gory details!

On Thursday at 5:00 p.m., just over a week before my due date, I was cleaning the bathtub (a chore I'd put off for weeks), and all of the bending and twisting was probably a good idea...my water broke! I rushed around packing my hospital bag (another task I'd been procrastinating) and we headed up to Memorial North. I was checked out at the triage center and it was determined that I was having contractions 5-6 minutes apart and was dilated to 3 cm.

Because my water had already broken, I was admitted and told that if things didn't start picking up after about 6 hours, I would need to be put on pitocin. Nick, Claire and I hung around the hospital for the next few hours, waiting for my family to arrive to take Claire home. I never sat down and just walked, walked, walked, trying to keep those contractions coming!

At 11:00 pm, I was only dilated to 4 and my contractions hadn't picked up at all. In went the dreaded IV and the contractions definitely increased in intensity (and pain) once the pitocin started. At this point, I lay down in bed and tried to get some rest between contractions.

The pain was getting worse as time went on. By around 1 a.m., I was only dilated to 5. I started getting VERY cold and my entire body was shaking. This made it impossible to rest between contractions and I was starting to feel overwhelmed. I moved to a birth ball and was wrapped in 4 warm blankets, which made me feel a million times better. The mood lightened a lot and Nick and I started goofing off -- I discovered that laughing through the contractions made them much more bearable!

Around 2:30 a.m., my contractions were spacing out again and they increased my dose of pitocin. The pain became nearly unbearable at this point, and I could hardly breathe through the contractions. My nurse was certain that I was in transition because the pain was so bad, but I was only at a 6!

At 3:00 a.m., I moved back to the bed and things started happening fast! Suddenly, I felt the urge to push very strongly and could hardly contain myself from doing so as the nurse checked again...in just about 15 minutes I was already dilated to 9, and the nurse said to go ahead and push! After 19 minutes of nonstop pushing - and lots of screaming - baby Liam was born. He was so beautiful!

Thank you to all my friends who encouraged me to attempt a natural birth. Although the pain was almost worse than I could have imagined, everything went much more quickly and the recovery is going better than I'd expected.

Welcome, Baby Liam! We love you!


  1. Congrats! He is beautiful! Horrah! You did it!

  2. Oh congrats!!! He is precious. Looks like Claire in that first picture (not a bad thing-she is so SO cute!). And way to go on the natural birth. I admire the heck out of you! Hope things are going well. Going from one to two was a little rough for me...

  3. He is amazing! I can't wait to see him! I've kept meaning to call you and I still will, I'm just spacey :) I'm so glad you told your birth story! I love hearing them. He really does look so wonderful, you have the prettiest babies!

  4. Congratulations Leigh... and Nick. He is beautiful.

  5. He is gorgeous! Congrats, guys! And way to go on the natural birth... I'm glad you had a good experience! : )

  6. Wow, good for you, I knew you could do it. Pitocin makes it so much worse, so I am so impressed you stuck to it. It does go so much faster when you let your body do what it needs to do. What a sweet baby, boys are a lot more fun then I first thought!