Saturday, August 22, 2009

Farmers' Market Find: Basil and Purple Potatoes

I forgot to mention the best finds from the farmers' market this week! Here ya go:

I've been waiting all summer for some decent basil. I refuse to buy the little $3 plastic container of 5 shrimpy basil leaves at King Soopers. Last year, I came home from the very last day of the summer's farmers' markets with two HUGE bunches of fresh basil. They were gorgeous! I left them in the fridge for a weekend away, intending to make pesto when I got home, only to come back to a brown slimy mess. I read that basil and other fresh herbs are in season in August in Colorado Springs, so I've been scouring every market stand for the last few weeks. One farmer mentioned that all of his basil was destroyed by hail this year. Finally, this week, one stand had some beautiful basil. I bought two bunches ($2 each) and stocked my freezer with some bright green pesto. If you read as many cooking magazines as I do, you already know to freeze pesto in ice cube trays, then pop the cubes out into freezer bags so you can remove as much or as little as you'd like throughout the winter.


Have you ever had a purple potato? I hadn't! Maybe it was blue. Whatever the color, it was definitely tasty! I bought a basket of six large potatoes (russet potato size) for $3. I was surprised to find that the inside is just as colorful as the skin! Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable Miracle mentions that these blue potatoes contain the same antioxidants that give blueberries their claim to fame as a Superfood in addition to the typical potassium and whatnot found in a regular potato.

I made my mom's "Tortilla de Patatas" recipe from her time living in Spain. It's not an exact science: dice one large potato, cook it in vegetable oil in an 8" skillet, then drain off the oil. Crack 6 eggs into a bowl, stir with a fork, then add the potato and some salt and stir. Pour it all back into your skillet and cook until done (like a frittata). Baby is eating her third serving as I type this! Thanks for the recipe, mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment