Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mint.com

Nick came across the most AWESOME personal finance website I've ever seen. You have to check it out! Mint.com brings together all of the information from your online banking, credit cards, loans, investments, and property. My favorite feature is the budget tool: you input your own monthly budget, and Mint pulls your transactions from your bank and credit cards to compare your actual spending to your budget. It also prepares a variety of helpful graphs, such as trends in your spending, income, assets, debts, and net worth over time.

Nick makes fun of me for my...well...tight-fisted-ness. I used to update excel spreadsheets monthly with all of this information, so this website makes the job much easier! Not only does it save me time, but it also provides some neat tools. For example, in the budget section you can choose that some categories "roll over" from month to month. This comes in handy for some things, such as my "gifts" category. In one month, I may have two baby showers and a birthday to buy for, and the next month nothing. I can set the same monthly budget and if I don't spend it this month, it will carry over to be added to next month's budget. Love it! They also send email alerts whenever you exceed your monthly budget for a particular category (so, we'll be getting emails about our dining out category pretty much every month!).

Of course, the site claims to be safe and secure (check out their information about this), and it's been named "Best Budgeting Site" by Kiplinger's magazine, and "Top Pick" by Money Magazine. All for free, too!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info Leigh! I'm already excited about the features of this website. :) Just like you, we also would be getting many e-mails under the "eating out" category. :) We'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the site...we'll have to check it out. We don't really keep track of where we spend our money, so this site might be good for us.

    ReplyDelete