Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Local Restaurant: Pizzeria Rustica

I keep reading about Pizzeria Rustica. They've won awards for their environmental sustainability and have been highlighted by nearly every local publication (and some not so local ones) for their artisan pizzas. Although their prices are quite reasonable, this trendy little eatery didn't come across as the most toddler-friendly, so we haven't had a chance to visit. That is, until Baby's grandparents offered their overnight babysitting services! We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary with dinner and a movie (Avatar in 3D, good movie, not great for morning sickness).

Pizza Rustica
Photo courtesy of Pizzeria Rustica

Located in Old Colorado City, the Pizzeria is a 30 minute drive from our home on the East end of town. Well worth it. I ordered their Quattro Formagi, a white pizza featuring house-made mozzarella, provalone, podano, and fontina cheeses with tons of roasted garlic and olive oil, and I asked them to add some elk pepperoni (featured on their special last night). Nick had their Salumi pizza with two kinds of salami, mozzarella, and tomatoes. The pizzas are individual-sized, but rather large (nearly a foot in diameter); we ignored the waiter's admission that many couples get by with sharing one pizza between them and were glad we did.

The desserts...oh the desserts...the star was Nick's Spumoni, which is pistachio ice cream with dried cherries and nuts and a balsamic fig glaze. I had yesterday's special, a cannoli with lemon gelato.

Nick and I talked about all of the places we would travel without kids or budget restraints. Croatia made the list this time, as did an Alaskan cruise and a weekend in Crested Butte, Colorado. Maybe we'll make it to the latter this Spring before I am entirely too pregnant to enjoy it; with another year of breastfeeding coming up, who knows when we'll be free to travel again!

Nick, thank you for the most wonderful 7 years...I love you!

1 comment:

  1. I knew mom and dad were babysitting that night and I was excited for the post about your date! :) I LOVE going out on dates! And CO has the best restaurants! What fun :)
    I hope you didn't get too sick at the movie! I've heard that it is quite beautiful.
    Congrats on the 7 years, I can't believe it's been that long! :)

    ReplyDelete